FS Course 402 - Learning the Data in the FS Query Data Base
What do I need to know about the data to build a successful ad-hoc query?
Learning about the data objects and their attributes
These are the Account/Cost Center Fund data attributes that are available for performing local ad-hoc queries.
Review the data reminders and querying hints before trying the hands-on exercise below. See the
Data Dictionary for detail
Data Reminders - Querying Hints
- This data object is a "current" table that does not contain any "historical" data.
It always reflects the current information residing on the Financial System
Account/Cost Center Fund Description Table as of the end of the preceding
business day. For prior years use the history data base FS-QDB_h.
- There are over 176,000 valid acct/cc-fund number combinations in the file so
be sure to qualify departmental or organizational hierarchy code before
submitting the query.
- This data object does not contain any hierarchical codes, i.e. department or organization. To qualify the department code
the acct/cc-fund object can be linked to either the account object or the fund object. The results using the account
department will be all the acct/cc-funds for the given department code. The results using the fund department will be all
the account/cc linked to the funds of the given department code, possibly including some acct/cc that belong to other
- Other attributes from the Account and Fund objects can be used to refine your account/cc-fund query.
General Steps to Complete the Hands-on Exercise
- Get a blank FS Query Data Model Worksheet and think about which objects and attributes are required to complete
this exercise, one part at a time.
- Put a check-mark next to the appropriate attributes and note any necessary qualifications.
- Bring up the Hummingbird BI-Query User FS QDB Model and choose the appropriate object(s) then fill in the selection screen.
- Check your column order and sort order before submitting you query.
Submit your query.
Hands-on Exercise No. 10: Complete an ad-hoc query that lists all the account/cost center fund combinations on file for
department 3820. Include both the UCOP account group title and the fund type title. [Solution]
[Back to data objects index]
©Copyright 1996 - Regents of the University of California;
Prepared by Greg Partipilo and Terri Kirkman; updated 09/09/03